Facebook Sextortion is an invasive way of extortion that occurs when someone blackmailing you on Facebook, unless you send them a ransom. Usually blackmailer demand money, nude images or videos, or even sexual favors. How to deal with sextortion and blackmailing on Facebook? If you are suffering from blackmailing on Facebook with video or private image, you should following steps to deal with Facebook sextortion:
- Stay calm and gather all the evidences and all communication with the sextortionist;
- Stop engaging with the blackmailer immediately;
- Apply all possible privacy restrictions on social media account
- Report the blackmailer’s Facebook account
- Do not give anything what sextortionist’s demanding
- Contact legal authorities
What is Sextortion?
Sextortion is a serious crime offence that involves a blackmailer threatening to you he will publish private (nude images or videos) and explicit information or material about you online (or share it with your family and friends) if you do not full fill to their demands. These demands mostly involve sexual images, money, or sexual favors.
A sextortionist’s try to afraid you that your intimate photos or videos will be shared on Facebook and other social media platfroms for your friends, family members, and colleagues to see. blackmailer use your fear against you to coerce you into paying them in exchange for not releasing your intimate photos, videos.
What are some common types of Sextortion and Blackmail?
Sextortion can happen in many forms and types, so make sure to stay away from these which are
- Webcam blackmail
- Online blackmail
- Spreading nude pictures
- Web sextortion
- Blackmailing with private videos and pictures
You need to report such kind of accounts and profiles.
To report a fake Facebook account
- Navigate to the profile of the fake account.
- Click under the cover photo and select ‘Find Support’ or ‘Report Profile’.
- Follow the on-screen instructions for fake accounts to file a report.
What should I do if someone is bothering me in messages on Facebook?
If someone sends you a message on Facebook that makes you uncomfortable, you can:
1. Block messages from them
By blocking their messages, they won’t be able to contact you. To block messages follow these steps-
- Open Messenger.
- Open the conversation with the person you’d like to block.
- At the top of the chat, click arrow.
- Click Block.
- Click Block messages and calls, then click Block.
2. Report a threatening message on Facebook
If you think a message you’ve received is spam or goes against Facebook Community Standards, you can let them know.
- Open messenger app or open message on browser
- Open the conversation that you want to report.
- Click the person or chat’s name.
- Click Something’s wrong.
- Select a category to help us understand what’s wrong, and then click Send feedback.
- Click Done.
Facebook Community Standards violations include:
- Bullying or harassment on facebook: Content that appears to purposefully target a person with the intention of degrading or shaming them, or repeatedly contacting a person despite that person’s clear desire and action to prevent contact.
- Direct threats on facebook: Serious threats of harm to public and personal safety, credible threats of physical harm, specific threats of theft, vandalism or other financial harm.
- Sexual violence and exploitation on facebook: Content that threatens or promotes sexual violence or exploitation, including solicitation of sexual material, any sexual content involving minors, threats to share intimate things you want to keep private (such as images or videos) and offers of sexual services.
3. Ignore the conversation
To ignore the conversation, follow these steps
- Right click on the conversation you want to ignore.
- Click Ignore Messages.
- Below Chats hover over the conversation you want to ignore.
- Click three dots
- Click Ignore Messages, then click Ignore Messages again.
4. Delete the conversation.
Bear in mind that this won’t delete the conversation from the other person’s Chats list. If you want to report the conversation, take a screenshot before you delete it.
5. Block them on Facebook.
To block someone on Facebook, follow these steps
- Click Three bars in the top right of Facebook.
- Select Settings & privacy, then click Settings.
- Click Blocking in the left side menu.
- In the Block users section, enter the name of the profile that you want to block and click Block.
- Select the specific profile that you want to block from the list that appears and click Block, then click Block [name].
How to protect my profile pictures from possible blackmailing?
Facebook settings to use to protect your future Blackmailing. You can view and change your privacy settings at any time. To view and adjust your privacy settings-
1. Go to the Settings and privacy
2. Then click on Settings
3. Click Privacy in the left column
4. After that click on Profile Lock and tap on Lock your Profile